We now have a list of five actors who are apparently up for the role of Augustus Waters, the lead male character opposite Shailene Woodley‘s Hazel Grace Lancaster, in the film The Fault in Our Stars. Here they are below:
- Brenton Thwaites, who recently made his way from Australian TV series, Home and Away, and will be the “Young Prince” in the film Maleficent, in which Angelina Jolie plays the title role.
- Nat Wolff was in last year’s Stuck in Love movie, which was also directed by Josh Boone, and was also in this year’s Admission, which starred Tina Fey and Paul Rudd. He has a couple of other movies on the way this year, one of them with Selena Gomez.
- Nick Robinson can be seen on the TV series Melissa and Joey, but will also be seen as Joe Toy in the Grand Jury nominated Sundance film, The Kings of Summer.
- Noah Silver is not a familiar name yet, but he played Benito Sforza in the Showtime series, The Borgias, and has a couple of films in the works coming soon.
- Ansel Elgort, whose most recent news is that he’ll be starring as Caleb Prior in the YA book to movie adaptation of Divergent.
I have to admit I am quite unfamiliar with these actors, but if I were to go by looks alone, I can see either Brenton or Noah in the role. That is nothing, though, compared to what needs to be seen in the chemistry between one of these actors and Shailene. It has to be spot on, and I would like them to take their time on the search if they need to.
My only concern is with actor Ansel Elgort. Ansel’s character in Divergent is the brother of Shailene’s character, Tris Prior, in Divergent. To see them as love interests in another film that caters to the same target audience, and within a year or two after Divergent, and possibly sandwiched between that and its sequel (pending on the success of the first film), would just be really… awkward.
So, what do you think of this list of actors? Is there anyone in particular from this list that you’d want to play Augustus? Comment below.